25.7.06

Read Newspapers

Have you noticed how tacky and tabloid-y the Malay Mail has become recently? What happened there? While I was never a regular reader of the old Malay Mail, but through the few times that I did read the publication, it gave me the impression that it was a rather decent read. But yesterday I had the chance to read the "all new" Malay Mail and I thought that it was totally rubbish. 90% of the content is tabloid material, not to mention the numerous amount of useless gossip (local & international) and those sleazy dodgy photos. I know that sex sells, but hey, have a bit of class, will ya? Unfortunately, it has become the English version of Harian Metro. Yes, it's THAT bad.

In other news, I see that Astro will be showing the US version of the series The Office soon. Hmm, interesting. I'm very skeptical and doubt whether the American version of this totally hilarious show would be anywhere close to the original British version. American sense of humour is different from the British, and I'm not too sure whether the American version would have the same impact. Example: While there's been rave reviews about the series Arrested Development, personally I don't think its that funny or hilarious at all. Maybe I just don't get it. I think the Brits are better at these "mock-umentary" style of comedy than the Yanks.

So, if you haven't seen The Office (original version) yet, do yourself a favour and go to your favourite Torrent site and download the whole season. Then, watch it. If you've ever worked in an office, you'll quickly realise that this show is bloody funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Word. The office is the best sitcom ever hands down. I bought a complete 1st and 2nd season (pirated la bukan ori haha) and memang lawak nak mampos. I've seen the US version as well, it's not too shabby but still I prefer the UK one.

“If you’re so clever, what am I thinking now?”
“You’re thinking how can I kill a tiger armed only with a biro.”
“No.”
“You’re thinking if I crash land in a jungle will I be able to eat my own shoes.”
“No. And you can’t”
“What are you thinking Gareth?”
“I was just wondering whether will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark.”

-Gareth and Tim