25.4.05

High Fidelity

The site's OK I guess. Except for the links. I should've put links to people I know. But I couldn't be bothered. Not now. Too much effort needed.
It's quite good to see comments from people. That's nice. I don't have a counter or anything to monitor how popular (or not) this site is with masses, but a few comments here and there is enough to show that there are people reading this.

I've been reading Nick Hornby's High Fidelity for a while now. Yeah, I know it's been around for what, 10 years(?) already but I just got the urge to actually read it last week. I've seen the movie a couple of times but.
It feels kinda weird reading a book after you've seen the movie. You just can't escape picturing the movie scenes throughout the whole read. I kept picturing the main character as John Cusack, and the annoying record shop assistant as Jack Black. I feel like I'm cheating somewhat, by not using my own imagination to picture or create images of these characters. I'm just using some other guy's interpretation of the story to help ME enjoy the story. For all I know, Hornby's character may not even look anything like Cusack or Black. And they'd speak with an English accent, unlike the movie characters. Rob's (main character) flat would probably look different, the record store would probably be different, they'd probably hang out at a pub rather than a bar, blah blah blah (you get the point).
I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy the book. I did. In fact, I thought it was brilliant. Great bloke literature (as opposed to chick-lit). It's just that it might've been better if I didn't try to link both the movie and book together. Maybe I'll do that the second time around.




No comments: